Wednesday, May 2, 2012
Accepting Lifes Challenges
This last year with our oldest in Kindergarten has been eye opening! We have learned and confirmed our child has a Neurological Disorder. We are still looking for more answers to a possible Autism diagnosis. I am so sick of hearing, "But he doesn't look Autistic" or "He will be fine, you're probably causing the Melt Downs & Behavior changes." No 2 children with Autism or Sensory Issues are alike & everyday is different. I have no doubt in my mind my son will be ok with the right therapies, but that doesn't mean I will stop trying to help him. Right now we have 2 diagnoses from 2 different sources. One from his Pediatrician..Developmentally Delayed due to prematurity & Drug Exposure in Utero, I agree with that, but also there is more. 2nd from an Occupational Therapist.. Vestibular Sensory Integration Dysfunction from drug exposure,prematurity, and lack of oxygen to his brain in utero & in the NICU. I have not aired out the gory details of my son's past before he was placed into foster care to the public, but I also want to raise Awareness to other Adoptive parents or parents in general, that Drug Exposure has it's risks. I would not take anything back, and he is my son blood or not! Everything I am doing is to help him & help us parent him. I have my days where I cry because he is not like regular children his age, he can't sit through a movie theatre, he can't perform in a school play, go up with the other children during children's time in church, walk up to children & ask to play, give adults eye contact, show affection to extended family members, go to a Birthday party without stressors...the list can go on. He is becoming more withdrawn & our parenting skills have had to change with him. Time out no longer works, he hides under tables, throws objects, hits himself, and can become a danger to himself. I have learned a Sensory Diet to help prevent Melt Downs & overcome them when they begin to prevent an escalated behavior. What I have a difficult time now is when the things we have learned don't work, I am at a loss. So we have gotten accepted into a Developmental Pediatrician at the end of May, we are on waiting lists for 2 different hospitals in Fort Worth & Dallas. This Dr got us in earlier with our Private Insurance. This is his 2nd evaluation for Autism & now that he will be 6, it is more invasive. We did get an IEP plan at school for 30 minutes of Occupational Therapy once weekly. I have gotten the question "Do you want him to have Autism?" What?? No, what parent wants to face that diagnosis. What I want is the correct diagnosis, and if he doesn't have it, than Praise God! That being said that doesn't change that he needs help to function as he gets older.
I have been researching everything, and I have difficult time with public school right now. I can't even stomach thinking of first grade. You see 90% of the week my child cries on the way out the door. Like a dagger to my heart I have to let him go. I worry about him all day. I feel both of us have been let down where he is at. I won't go into all that, but 99.9% of me wants my child home with me. With my 2 yr old it's easy to see him go to preschool he is happy & thriving. My first born has never had that experience, he has cried everyday through every MDO program until now. The minute I mention Homeschool some see me as a bad parent, but many parents with children with Sensory Issues thrive at home. You see, you still socialize them, just they don't do well in large grouped classrooms, teachers don't understand their sensory signals, and the staff in general don't know how to handle them. That is a very unsettling feeling as a parent.
Now the good things, he talks more. His pragmatics still need improvement & we have been referred to Baylor for Speech Therapy. I am waiting until after our diagnosis with the Developmental Pediatrician for a referral in writing for a Speech Therapist. We had in writing by our normal Pediatrician, but the school didn't recognize it. He will come home now & tell us a parts of his day. We never get a full descripition or he could be talking about months ago! Hey at least he is telling us, he also will tell me if he needs a "squish box" or "he is too shy" or "he is angry" & so on. He never did that before & the other day he spoke to the CVS pharmacy Tech, but he has seen her many times before. It's the little things that make me smile & I have learned to accept who he is, and it's not just abandonment issues as everyone thought before. He is my son, no matter what he is diagnosed with. He is a very lovable, funny, & smart little dude! I thank God everyday for sending him to us. He healed a big whole in my heart with my infertility & wait to be a Mom. God placed him with this Momma Bear for a Reason, and I am truly Blessed. Now in between 3-6 pm, I am a Hot Mess! With a 1yr old, 2yr old, & Sensory kiddo melting down all at once while you try to make dinner, clean & bathe, it's very overwhelming! I don't recommend calling me at the time, lol!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I am so sorry you guys are going through this, but I am so glad you are sticking with it and not just settling on any diagnosis. God had a plan when he put you two together! Hang in there sister!!
Will pray for you! With our FASD daughter, while her days aren't always easier, homeschooling works better for her than public school. Our other children were fine in ps, we pulled them out for other reasons. If we had to send them back, they would be fine again. However, GG cannot handle it. She gets over stimulated and just canot handle the chaos of a classroom. We work on social activities with her so she can experience being in groups, etc, but we are able to be right there with her and can read when it is getting to be 'too much'.
Homeschooling is not a choice for everyone and you'll find many people who don't agree with it. But guess what, not their life, not their kid, you get to make the decisions!
If you are considering it, I'd do it for at least one year, see how he does. If it still doesn't work out, you could enroll him in public school again. As for the services provided by school/IEP, I'm pretty sure the school district has to provide that even if you homeschool (although it might mean you have to bring him to school for x amount of time). As a former public school teacher, I'd not put too much trust that the child is actually getting all the services laid out in the IEP either....I've yet to see that happen.
And shame on all those people trying to make you feel bad for wanting to know what is going on! No one wants their child to struggle in life!!
Thank you!!! I don't feel so alone. I know many who do. IEP's are not fun! Letting the school diagnose your child is not parenting! Always need Drs & professionals for 2nd opinions. They said he looks like high function Autism, but not enough to affect him academically. So they only qualified him for OT b/c of the Dr notes that I had. I was told by our OT to let him go into 1st grade & not help him & let him fail so he will get more services! I just can't do that as a Mom! He already has low self esteem.
I am glad that you are advocating for your child. My prayers are with you and you will get through this.
If there are any questions that I can assist you with feel free to ask. I'm a pediatric therapist (SLP) with my own contracting business/company. I independently contract with school systems primarily and I also work in hospital settings PRN and skilled nursing facilities when I have time. I rarely share my occupation on my blog, however, a few know and have talked with me regarding developmental concerns. I have extendive experience and training in Pediatric autism, PDD, Aspergers and SDD preschoolers.
I'm glad that you were so forthcoming regarding your experience. That is one reason I was honest about our experiences during our initial journey. As a person in a medical and educational background career I see more and understand special needs. My view on certain exposures were different than others who were not in the know with possible disabilities linked to certain exposures. You are so right, there are so many risks and we have to be prepared.
I'm sure one or two were upset with me 2 years ago when I shared on my blog why we were not interested in a particular baby we received a call about. It was to inform and share our journey in reality. Others were very thankful I shared the reality of adoption situations in many cases. I truly understand there is no perfect situation and we just have to pray and plead the blood of Jesus over our children despite what exposures they have experienced.
I can say that early intervention is key. I have a nephew on my husband's side of the family who is Autistic and I knew it before he was 2. Long story short, I didn't know how to tell them because it's sensitive and I was dating my husband. Before I left NYC when we became engaged I prayed and asked God how I could suggest that he get evaluated without offending them. I told my husband, then fiancé and I suggested it to my nephews mother, now my sister in law. He was diagnosed that fall right before he was 3 years old and received all services.
Autism can happen to any of us with healthy pregnancies, it requires commitment to help the child be the best they can be with their special needs.
Continue doing what you are doing and there are a lot of support groups and resources for you. Take advantage of the services the school system provides and also get private services if your insurance will allow it. The more intervention, the better. I'm a little surprised someone didn't catch this before now, like around 3 years old so he could've received services early on.
You can also get him evaluated outside of the schools at a children's hospital or private facility that specializes in diagnosing such as a pediatric neurologist so that you will have 2 evaluations.
Too much to share here now, but the person mentioning an autism dx may have been trying tobletbyou know that you have a lot more available to you once you getbn official diagnoses.
Keep the faith. Email me if you have specific questions. This is what I do and train others to do for a living. I've done it for plenty of other friends and aquaintances.
You can remove this long post after reading it. I just wanted you to know there are options and lots of people to help you transition through this process so that you can understand your rights and advocate for your child appropriately! Blessings to you.
Please excuse typos as I'm responding from my iPad.
Post a Comment